FEAR RPG is a free and complete
pencil-and-paper fantasy roleplaying game.
Last updated on 26 September 2014.
Download the rulebook (7th edition) for free here!
Rulebook (7th edition) available in print on www.lulu.com
Check out the review of FEAR at thefreerpgblog.blogspot.com
Some roleplaying games are so simplistic that any realism is
lost. Ever played a game where:
- only thieves can pick locks?
- rapiers do the same type of damage as
- each combatant makes one attack every
ten seconds, and can only wear one type of armour?
Other roleplaying games are so complex that they become
unplayable. Ever played a game where:
- each character has hundreds of
- keeping track of damage in combat
requires a qualification in accountancy?
- you have to buy twenty rulebooks
to get a decent set of rules?
was born out of frustration with these types of roleplaying
games, and has been designed from scratch to be realistic yet flexible. The
rules can be adapted to any fantasy world you care to use. Hopefully thereís
enough depth to satisfy experienced roleplayers, and
enough explanation to get novices started too. Sadly, Iím not an artist so
there are no pretty pictures to break up the text and tables. If anyone has fantasy
artwork they donít mind me using, please contact me!
do you get?
- 12 classic fantasy PC races;
- 100+ detailed monster
- 250+ spells in 12 schools of
- a simple and flexible skill
- a realistic second-by-second
can be adapted to virtually any fantasy world invented. Just add dice (1d10s)
and Contact Information
FEAR RPG was created by Paul Jeffcoat, with suggestions from Dale
Broadbent, James Lowe and Chris Murtagh.
It has been
published on the internet to get feedback from other roleplayers.
If you have any comments or suggestions, please email them to:
Previous updates are listed on the Rules page.
- Character Generation:
- New Empathy and Reasoning
attributes, rather than just Intelligence. Also Enchantment rather than
- Scrapped racial restrictions
- Scrapped half-elves and
- Made wood elves mortal. Only
dragon-newts and trolls are immortal.
- Reworked for Skill+Attribute action roll system.
- Skills divided into arts,
crafts, lores and manoeuvres - as well as
combat, magic, adrenal and advanced melee.
- Following weapons scrapped:
Fighting Chain, Blowpipe, Bolas, Nunchaku,
Military Pick, Dart, War Mattock, No-Dachi,
- Revised weights to make them
- Changed characteristics of
cudgels and maces, to reduce their effectiveness. Most one-handed blunt
weapons do Kick Box damage now, not Crush.
- Adjusted all mST and deleted Fumble Range in tables.
- Rules for applying exhaustion
penalty consistently in combat now.
- Revised Damage Tables to make
them more consistent, and to increase difference with AC.
- Exsanguination moved from
Giant Vampire Bat to Damage section.
- Scrapped cuir
- Made it worthwhile layering
different ACs (protection is not just the highest AC).
- Scrapped Armour Penalty.
Armour just contributes to Encumbrance Penalty, unless it is magical.
Magical bonuses for armour reduce Encumbrance Penalty. Some weapons and
armour are heavy now (especially mail)!
- Clarified that Defence is
greatest Attack for two-weapon combo.
- Scrapped range modifiers to
Attack (instead the Location Penalty changes with range).
- Scrapped effect of range on
- Scrapped halving of Defence
versus ranged attacks, or whilst making them, or whilst charging, etc.
Instead Defence just equals AG, except whilst making and receiving melee
attacks, when the weapon can be used to parry.
- Fighters can make enhanced
parries versus ranged attacks.
- Reworked advanced melee
skills. Fighters are able to sacrifice skill development ticks for
bonuses to advanced melee skills (to stop them developing dozens of
pointless combat skills). New advanced melee skills: Death Prod and
- Replaced spell level with 6
grades of difficulty.
- Three spell casting durations
- 1, 5 and 60 seconds.
- Scrapped sustained spell
- Referring to spells as being
resistible or irresistible, instead of direct or indirect, as clearer.
Reduced number of irresistible spells - most are not resistible.
- New Talisman spells in all
disciplines, to encourage specialisation and interaction.
- Reworked Bolts, Balls and
Cones so they automatically hit - no need for attack rolls (except when
- New spells: Wind of Utility
(Aeromancy); Crystal Light (Terramancy); Lifesap
(Necromancy); Strip the Flesh (Necromancy); Red Mist (Necromancy);
Attribute Enhancement (Alchemy); Freeze Water (Hydromancy); Fire Cloak
(Pyromancy), Snake Arrow (Nature), Blind Arrow (Nature), Reflect Missile
(Force), Shift Gravity (Force).
- Reordered low level Healing spells.
Tweaked Heal Injury and Ignore Pain.
- Scrapped vorpal
enhancement from Alchemy, given revisions to Armour.
- Reduced duration of Paralyse
as it was too powerful.
- Replaced Heat Item in
Pyromancy with Ignite.
- Vampires revised to allow them
to fully exsanguinate and kill.
- Added new Chaos gift -
- Reworked priest ranks and
gifts. Gifts now bestow attribute increases.
- Scrapped priestly spell
- Optional Races:
- Increased Dragon-Newt
metamorphosis time to days not hours.
- Changed Icthoid telepathy
power to suggestion.
- Character Development:
- Revised development rules for
new Skill+Attribute action roll system.
- Scrapped attribute
development, given new potential for magic to enhance attributes.
- Scrapped creatures' immunity
to non-magical weapons. Such immunity is reserved for users of a master
Force spell or pious magic.
- Revised vulnerability to give
standard, resilient and super-resilient classes, plus regenerating.
- New creatures: Beholder,
Fei-Long and Void Hart. Scrapped chimp and hydra. Merged Ice and Water
Drake (aka Hydra).
- Demonic Wrongness now disrupts
spell-casting, rather than worsening Hindrance.
- Undead attacks no longer
disrupt spell-casting. Instead, some emit a cold aura which fatigues.
- New tax on adventurers
bringing treasure into towns. Will encourage stashing of treasure in the
- Blackgrot - new poison and
- Added in prices for metal
shields in Goods and Services.
- Merged injury healing herbs
(the location of the injury on the body no longer matters).
- Scrapped herb which heals
injuries in advance - leave this to spells.
- Artefacts renamed as legendary
- Wand of Towering added.
- Float Stone added alongside
mithril and adamant.